Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 13, 2010

Le Question de l'Expansion


 When you think about all the unserved markets in Canada, and all the markets in the US where people don't care about hockey, it really makes me wonder. Why again are there teams two teams in Florida, and only one team in the huge province of Quebec. There are even teams in Atlanta and Phoenix, so why would there not be more in Canada. I understand why there are so many teams in the US, because that's where money is, and I'm not going to say Winnipeg is a sexier market than Los Angeles, but there can still be more teams in Canada.
  Recently, I came back from a trip to Quebec City, one of the most beautiful cities in North America. Besides all the character the Old City has, it also has some of the most passionate fans I've seen. There are Nordiques fans as crazy as they get, and the Nordiques have been dead for fifteen years. I had the privilege to talk to some fans, and they all got incredibly passionate when the subject of hockey was brought up. Some fans seemed quite optimistic, while some were really pessimistic. But deep down all of them were hoping for a new team, and a new Coliseum. One fan must have reminded me five times in ten minutes the the Quebec Bulldogs won the Stanley Cup two years in a row back in 1911-1913. The most interesting person I got to talk to was Marian Stastny, the first of the famous Stastny brothers to come to Canada, and play for the Nordiques. Stastny happens to own a hotel and golf resort outside of Quebec, where I was staying. Stastny was very fond of his memories, and still had the winning attitude. When I asked him if he was approached to co-own a new Nordiques team, he didn't confirm it. But he didn't deny it either.
 The economy in Quebec is on the rise, being one of Canada's favourite touristy cities. Also the annual Winter Carnival would have a perfect marriage with the NHL. But, as we all know, not many taxpayers like to pay for places for millionaires to skate around in. Or at least that's how my dad puts it. But that's what the Quebec government is proposing.
 Although Quebec is a nice city, it isn't the most appealing place for alot of anglophone players who don't want to practice their francais. 


  Well, considering there are tons of French-Canadians who have to learn English, I guess they can adjust.
For some reason, Bettman seems keen on bringing a team to Quebec, and if Bettman likes it, well...
I don't think a team is coming to Quebec any time soon, but if the government funds it, who knows. If the Nordiques are coming back, I look forward to seeing them beat Montreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment